Followers

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A New Baby!

This afternoon I attended a baby shower for a dear friend...she took a class with me about a year and half ago.  Then she took a few more classes :)  I loved her sense of humor and her energy and we soon became friends.  Most of my classes are at least 4 weeks long so I do get very well acquainted with the quilters and they become well acquainted with each other. All of them are fabulous!  I truly adore them!

I have been waiting to make this baby quilt for someone....and the style was perfect for Christine and her new little one ;)  And I know Christine's color palette so it was quite fun!


This is the Denyse Schmidt 'Sleep' quilt...the pattern was found in a quilting magazine....
The pattern calls for a solid piece of fabric for the top 2/3rds of the quilt and the word and another section on the bottom....
I broke it up a bit by adding some linen and a little swatch of fabric on the top section....


The back was Kona in Ash with a little log cabin detail....it is machine quilted and bound with Amy Butler's orange dot....a great fabric!



It was a lovely day....and I feel blessed to have met so many wonderful women who share a passion for sewing....I am truly blessed....
mary

18 comments:

  1. I have that magazine and hope to make that quilt someday...so cute.Those orange dots certainly look familiar as my daughter used them for her first baby's room...we have lots left over...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw!! I love that story. You never know when you are going to make that connection with someone! : )

    Is this your second version of this quit? Or a finished first? I thought I saw it before awhile back... maybe I'm going a little crazy. Either way I LOVE it! It really turned out beautifully. I love the colors of the letters and the loopy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a sweet quilt, in all its crinkly goodness! It will be cherished, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a really cute quilt! i am sure she is going to love it! I bet she will be so happy to snuggle her little bundle in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious quilt and how wonderful to know a precious bundle will be lovingly wrapped in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a VERY cute quilt!!! It just looks so cuddly and sweet and will look more so when it's snuggled around it's recipient. I love Amy Butler's moon dots in tangerine, they really suit binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just hoping that little baby follows your good advice! Hee hee! Lovely quilt Mary - and love both the quilting and binding - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!!! Love how you put it together. My fingers are itching right now... And I adore the quilting too. Is that achievable on a regular sewing machine, or do you need a longarm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quilt!! I've never seen the pattern but it's just so spot on for baby. It looks gorgeous. I'm pretty blessed with the people I've met through the love of quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful gift and a great quilt! I know she'll love it. Loving those orange dots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could someone send me the name and issue information for this pattern. I'd love to find a copy of the magazine.
    Sue
    Suebasket at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this sweet little quilt. I would sleep under it!! What magazine was it in...I have an upcoming baby soon..
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh. wow. that is so sweet! i saw this quilt somewhere before, and loved it then... but i really like the colors and quilting on yours! loveliness!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the perfect quilt for every new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary, I'm playing catch-up again (due to not being able to leave comments for a while) and you've been busy! I love this sleep quilt, in fact I could fancy something similar (but larger) for our spare bad as I'm been told by the OH I'm not allowed to make anything traditional :( but I think the simplicity of this would be fine. Besides, not a lot he can say when I've made it ;) It's lovely, I'm sure your friend will be very pleased. Beth/The Linen Cat x

    ReplyDelete
  16. i saw this quilt in the same magazine and thought it was adorable...and in your hands you have yet again made it so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey mary...im thinking of making a very similar quilt for my boss's son and DIL...which magazine was this from? I have Tonya Ricucci's book Word Play Quilts I was going to use...Im just curious how big your letters/word is....thanks!

    ReplyDelete